- Are you looking for the next step in your career at OGT?
- Or perhaps you know someone who would be a great fit for our Company and would like to explore joining us?
- If so, read on and find out more about our latest opportunity as a Senior Computational Biologist in our Oxford based Research & Development Team.
Reporting to James Reid, Head of Data Analysis, you will play an integral role in the Computational Biology team, being involved in the provision of NGS pipeline development and maintenance to support R&D and broader organisational data analysis requirements.
Your duties will include:
- Manage NGS analysis pipelines, including:
- Collaborating on the design and implementation of new analytical methods for NGS data and delivering high-quality prototypes within agreed specifications and timelines
- Implementing optimal testing and validation strategies for newly designed methods
- Developing, testing, maintaining, and validating analysis pipelines of NGS data
- Documenting all processes to a high standard
- Keeping up to date with the latest NGS technologies, associated methods and tools and the ability to benchmark them
- Management of scientific software packages used by the NGS analysis pipelines
- Contribution to the success of the Computational Biology team, including:
- Supporting infrastructure projects with mid- to long-term deliverables
- Exploring novel tools and approaches and sharing expertise with the rest of the team
- Willingness to learn and share new skills and know-how
- Working with the team on process improvements
- Acting as a champion and owner of results for projects/areas of responsibility
For the full job description, please contact the HR team.
- Be qualified to a minimum of MSc, or equivalent, up to a PhD in Bioinformatics, Computational Biology or Computer Science
- Have demonstrable experience of developing, testing and managing NGS analysis pipelines (essential) with a strong background in numerical/analytical/computational methods (desirable)
- Demonstrate strong working knowledge of NGS command-line tools. Extensive experience of running NGS pipeline environments is considered desirable
- Have strong Python programming skills coupled with package management experience, strong Linux skills, including bash and command line tools
- Good knowledge of building and running docker containers
- Demonstrable experience of developing code within a CI/CD framework
- Extensive use of code version control systems such as git and issue tracking tools
- Have good knowledge of cloud technologies, software testing methods and understanding of molecular biology
- Have the ability to work independently and collaboratively as part of a multi-disciplinary team
- Have good problem-solving skills and attention to detail
- Be a strong team player with excellent attention to detail
- Be an effective communicator both in writing and verbally
- Have strong organisational and time management skills
It is also considered desirable to have experience with a range of open-source bioinformatics software, bioinformatics databases, data formats and Unix system administration. Familiarity with Agile development methodologies would be helpful. Experience of working on the development of IVD products to regulatory standards in a commercially led environment working to ISO standards is also advantageous.
In return you will receive:
- Competitive salary
- Pension Scheme (10% non-contributory)
- Private Health Insurance
- Private Dental Insurance
- Group Income Protection
- Group Life Assurance
- 25 days holiday plus UK bank holidays
- Flexi-time Scheme
- High Street Discount Scheme
If this has piqued your interest, then our R&D Team would love to hear from you.
To apply we’ll need your current CV & a one-page covering letter outlining your suitability for the role, salary expectations and notice period. Please note that we will need to establish your right to work in the UK during the recruitment process.
Closing date for applications is 30 September 2022. Please note we may close the vacancy earlier should be receive sufficient applications.
No agencies please