An opportunity has arisen in our Oxford based Research & Development team for a Computational Biologist. Reporting to our Head of Data Analysis, you will play an integral role in the Computational Biology team, being involved in the provision of data analysis processes and development to support R&D and broader organisational data analysis requirements.
Your duties will include:
- Collaborating on the design and implementation of new analytical methods for NGS data and delivering high-quality prototypes within agreed specifications and timelines
- Implementing optimal testing and validation strategies for newly designed methods
- Developing, testing, maintaining and validating analysis of NGS data
- Keeping up to date with the latest NGS technologies, strategies, associated methods and tools
- Integrating NGS data analysis workflows into existing and future company products
- Providing NGS data analysis support to R&D deriving from both internal and external projects. Developing prototype software to support these activities
- Supporting infrastructure projects with mid to long term deliverables
- Exploring novel tools and approaches and sharing expertise with the rest of the team
- Working with the team on process improvements
- Acting as a champion and owner of results for projects/areas of responsibility
- Be qualified to a minimum of MSc, or equivalent, up to a PhD in Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, Computer Science or Statistics
- Demonstrable experience of developing novel data analysis methods (essential) with a strong background in numerical/analytical/computational methods (desirable).
- Demonstrable experience of using computational tools and data analyses particularly in NGS (essential) in a commercially led environment working to ISO standards with good knowledge of code version control (desirable) Have a good understanding of molecular biology
- Demonstrate strong programming skills in Python and/or R and strong Linux/Unix skills, including bash and command line tools (essential). Proficiency in more than one programming language for analysing genomic data (desirable)
- Have the ability to work independently and collaboratively as part of a multi-disciplinary team
- Have good problem-solving skills and attention to detail
- Be a strong team player with excellent attention to detail
- Be an effective communicator both in writing and verbally
- Have strong organisational and time management skills
It is also considered desirable to have a background in numerical/analytical and computational methods with familiarity with Agile development methodology, bioinformatic databases and data formats and Unix system administration. Experience with a range of open-source bioinformatics software would also be considered desirable for this role.
In return you will receive:
- Competitive salary
- Pension Scheme (10% non-contributory)
- Private Health Insurance
- Private Dental Insurance
- Group Income Protection
- Group Life Assurance
- 25 days holiday plus UK bank holidays
- Flexi-time Scheme
- High Street Discount Scheme
Application is via CV & a one-page covering letter outlining your suitability for the role, salary expectations and confirming you have the right to work in the UK.
Closing date for applications is 10 June 2022.
No agencies please